Books we cherished and ones we look forward to holding next year.
In yoga, transitions not only exist to move us from one asana to the next, they remind us to reset with intention. A moment of active rest: stay present, reflect, transition. Better yet, transitions serve to realign us as we continue with our practice.
We are well intertwined with the rest of the natural world when we embrace the winter months as a moment of transition. Ideally, we will be able to make space to gather with our communities, practice gratitude in various forms, and introduce more comfort within our surroundings. However, these last few years have brought forth new challenges for us all and we must continue moving – with newfound compassion.
So, as our Earth completes another revolution around the sun, let us continue to embrace these transitions by offering that added sense of ease to ourselves, loved ones, and those we wish a restful period of transitions to.
Over the last several months, what has inspired you to think differently? Who would you like to show appreciation for? How are we able to, as individuals and community, nourish our minds, bodies, spirits and loved ones just a little more in these upcoming months?
At Pranamaya, we would love to offer our Book Gift Guide as one method to expand upon this sentiment of easeful transition. Below, the guide includes this year’s favorites and next year’s most anticipated reads.
The books on this list take powerful steps to embrace yogic practices to sustain us in the present moment. May they offer guidance for our self-commitments, fuel for our ongoing revolutions, and new perspectives for our ever changing spirits.
Using techniques and teachings of yoga, the authors on this list offer a variety of methods to pause, reflect and change. Some trace yogic history, family history, and healing from intergenerational traumas. Some explore yoga as a means for healing personally from sexual assault trauma, collectively from racial and gendered systemic oppression, and working towards finding one’s truth. In others, social justice work, radical rest and yoga nidra work, chakra meditations, and even family recipes become the bases for radical self-transformation.
It’s within our transitions that we have the clearest opportunity to remind ourselves of who we are and what we choose to carry with us from one of life’s postures to the next.
What will you move through with compassion this season?
Read from Sarah Powers, Zahabiyah Yamasaki, Michelle Cassandra Johnson, Susanna Barkataki, Octavia Raheem, Jivana Heyman, Nischala Joy Devi, Jacoby Ballard, Tracee Stanley, Paul Grilley, Shannon Algeo, and Indu Arora in their new and upcoming books this season. If you wish to hear more or share these recommendations with others, follow @pranamayayogamedia on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for ongoing updates about the books in our gift guide.
THE GIFT GUIDE:
- Lit From Within by Sarah Powers (2021)
- Trauma-Informed Yoga for Survivors of Sexual Assault by Zahabiyah Yamasaki (preorder, January 11, 2022)
You may also want to look at the Trauma-Informed Yoga Affirmation Deck, available here.
- Finding Refuge: Heart Work for Healing Collective Grief by Michelle Cassandra Johnson (2021)
- Embrace Yoga’s Roots by Susanna Barkataki (2020)
- Pause, Rest, Be: Stillness Practices for Courage in Times of Change by Octavia Raheem (February 1st, 2022)
- Yoga Revolution: Building a Practice of Courage and Compassion by Jivana Heyman (preorder, ships December 7th, 2021)
- Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman’s Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras (Revised Edition) by Nischala Joy Devi (preorder, May 10, 2022)
- A Queer Dharma – Jacoby Ballard (preorder, November 23rd, 2021)
- Radiant Rest: Yoga Nidra for Deep Relaxation and Awakened Clarity by Tracee Stanley (2021)
- A Yogi’s Guide to Chakra Meditation by Paul Grilley (2020)
- Trust Your Truth: Heal Self-Doubt, Awaken to Your Soul’s Purpose, and Live Your Badass Life by Shannon Algeo (2021)
- Soma: 100 Heritage Recipes for Self-Care by Indu Arora (2020)